Friday, October 16, 2009

A GREAT SOUP RECIPE


This is a soup recipe of my own. Mercantile Gatherings (my favorite magazine) published my recipe for this in the 2007 Christmas Issue. I was so proud! Brenda did such a nice job on the layout....she used a whole page! My friends that have tried this just love it. I thought I would share this on my Blog seeing all of the ingredients are in season right now. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

OLDE CROW CURRIED PARSNIP, PEAR AND APPLE SOUP

2 Tablespoons butter
1 medium onion chopped
1 celery stalk sliced into small pieces
1 pear, peeled, cored and sliced
1 apple, peeled, cored and sliced ( I used macintosh)
4 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of apple cider
1 cup of milk or cream
1 bay leaf
8 parsnips peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon pepper

In large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir In the onion, pear, apple and the celery. Cook until they are softened-approximately 7 minutes.
Stir in the chicken stock, cider, parsnips, salt, curry, bay leaf, nutmeg and pepper.
Cook on medium high heat until vegetables are soft, approximately 25 minutes.
Remove from heat, remove bay leaf and puree” with stick blender or food processor until smooth. Add the milk or cream near the end .
ENJOY !

2 comments:

  1. Does that ever sound good!! I have to try your soup, Janet, I have never had any that mixed fruits and veggies like this and it sounds delicious! I wasn't getting Mercantile Gatherings back then, sorry I missed it :(. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! We love parsnips. Just the type of soup needed for a day like today. Cold, windy and rain.

    I saw the published recipe in Mercantile Gatherings. Beautiful full page. It was great!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete